A practical course providing fun and imaginative ways of teaching yoga to children of all ages and abilities.
Next Yoga for Children and Teens Module
BWY Yoga for Children and Teens Training Module
Course Tutor Michelle Cheesbrough
1, Station Road, Beccles, Suffolk NR34 9QH
Telephone 01502 713554
Background – RGN (Registered General Nurse), BWY Dip,and YFC (yoga for children) module Tutor, YTC yoga therapist (biomedical trust).
Venue – Yoga Glow Studio, 4 The Walk, Beccles, Suffolk NR34 9AJ
Dates to be arranged
The course is held over a 6-month period with 1 introductory day and 3 weekends:
Each weekend will comprise of general topics, learning through group work and discussion, lectures, plenary and practical sessions, and the focus will be on a particular age group each weekend, beginning with smaller children through to teenagers. We will study child development holistically looking at physiological, psychological, spiritual and social aspects related to each age group. We will explore themes, games, stories, music and other creative ideas to use with children as they grow and develop. You will have the opportunity to watch live classes. There are 2 visiting teachers; one is a special needs teacher and the other a storyteller.
- Setting up and running classes safely
- Safety issues related to child development
- Child Protection
- Special needs and the discrimination act
- Yoga in School and community organisations
- Pranayama, yamas and niyamas, meditation and relaxation techniques to use with the different age groups.
- Child development
- Behaviour Management
- Techniques to improve concentration and memory.
- Creative lesson planning and the art of storytelling
- exploring yoga related themes, games, stories, songs.
- A yoga teaching qualification affiliated with the BWY
- 2 years teaching experience.
- DBS check – you will need to contact Stuart Prince BWY lead child protection officer to discuss your DBS and to obtain a copy of the Child protection policy Stuart’s contact details are firstname.lastname@example.org / 01529 306851
- Attend all of the seminars.
- Complete the home study, i.e. reading and written assignments.
- Start teaching a yoga class to children before the end of the course.
- Complete Final assessment within 6 months of finishing the course.
Assessment of Studies
- Submit a series of written assignments.
- All course work is designed to get you up running and maintaining your classes.
- Attendance to all seminars is essential for successful completion of the course or attend an extra tutorial to make up any lost hours.
- Within the 6 month period after the course has finished participants will be expected to have a yoga class to children assessed. If you live more than 100miles away you can video your class for assessment or use one of my classes for assessment.
Each day will begin at 9.00am and finish at 5.00pm.
A BWY certificate will be presented on successful completion of the course.
You will need to buy or borrow from the library 2 Books for the course.
- ’Helping Children with Yoga’ by Michelle Cheesbrough and Sarah Woodhouse cost £11.99 all profit from this book goes to the charity ‘Right from the start. I have these books in stock.
- ‘Child Development’ by Carolyn Meggitt published by Heinemann
A list of recommended readingwill be given at the start of the course.
I will bring a large collection of books for you to look at so that you can decide on what books appeal to you.
Comprehensive Course Manuel will be provided via attachments.
- BWY Registration and Certification
- Assessment fees (does not include travel expenses of Assessor)
- Tuition fees and Course Material
A non-refundable deposit of £100 will be required on acceptance to the course.
The rest of the fees are to be paid on the first weekend.
Additional costs (not included in cost of course)
- CRB Check – £50
- Travel expenses of assessor.
- Course books.
Please complete the application form and return it to Michelle by post or email.
Follow this link for a downloadable .pdf file which is an application form that you can print.